Banana Bread is such a versatile sweet treat to bake. It’s so great toasted in the mornings with a slather of butter. There’s nothing like the scent of warm banana coming from the kitchen as the banana bread warms up. Mmmm..I seem to always have extra bananas that need using before they turn mushy brown.
I seem to always have extra bananas that need using before they turn mushy brown. So I was pleased to spot this slightly different recipe for banana bread. It’s a classic banana loaf inside, but a crunchy topping of cinnamon and almond flakes are baked on top. It gives the bread a wonderful crunchy texture. Serve warm with butter.
BANANA BREAD with ALMOND TOPPING
Makes: 2 medium loaves, serves 16 Difficulty: Easy
- 2 medium loaf pans (21 x 11 x 6 cm; 8.3 x 4.3 x 2.4 in)
- Kitchen scales
- Kitchen timer
- Oven thermometer
- 200ml (6.8 fl oz) Sour Cream (low fat is ok)
- 1 teaspoon Bicarbonate Soda
- 120g (4.2 oz) Unsalted Butter, melted
- 230g (8.1 oz) Caster Sugar
- 2 Eggs, lightly beaten
- 2-3 ripe Bananas, mashed (about 250g; 8.8 oz)
- 250g (8.8 oz) Plain Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 45g (1.6 oz) Brown Sugar
- 30g (1 oz) Slivered Almonds
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius (160 fan-forced; 350F). Line the base of two loaf pans with baking paper and grease the sides with non-stick spray.
- Add the Bicarbonate Soda and Sour Cream to a large bowl. Stir them together and leave them to develop for 5 minutes. Then, stir in the melted butter, caster sugar, and eggs.
- In a medium bowl add the flour, baking powder and cinnamon. Stir together until evenly mixed.
- Pour the dry ingredients over the wet ingredients. Gently stir everything together until only just combined.
- Split the batter equally between the two loaf tins. Sprinkle the brown sugar and slivered almonds equally over the top of both pans.
- Check the oven has reached the correct temperature. Place the loaf pans on the middle rack of the oven. Bake for about 55-60 minutes. The loaves are ready when the tops spring back when lightly touched and a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven. Let them cool in the pans for 10 minutes, then transfer them onto a wire rack to cool completely the right-side up.
Recipe adapted from the Melt & Mix Banana Bread, by Bill Granger
BANANA BREAD WITH ALMOND TOPPING
- Be careful not to over mix the wet and dry ingredients. Stirring too hard gives you rubbery cakes.
- Each loaf cuts into about 8 slices.
- Each slice can be wrapped in plastic wrap and stored in the freezer. Just gently microwave it with the plastic removed before eating. They’ll keep 3 months.
- Loaves will store in an airtight container at room temperature for 3 days.
- Can serve warm or cold, and with butter.