When you bake this apple muffin recipe with crumble topping, brace yourself for the warm apple, toasted coconut, caramelised sugar and cinnamon smell that will fill your kitchen. Lucky for you, they taste fantastic warm from the oven with a dash of butter so you don’t need to wait.
APPLE MUFFIN RECIPE WITH CRUMBLE TOPPING
Makes: 12 Cupcakes Difficulty: Easy
· 12-hole Muffin Tray
· 2 small mixing bowls
· 1 large mixing bowl
· Kitchen scales
· Patty cases (optional)
· Kitchen timer
· Oven thermometer
· Cooling rack
· 220g (7.7 oz) Self Raising Flour, sifted
· 115g (4 oz) Caster Sugar
· 1 teaspoon Cinnamon Powder
· 60g (2 oz) Vegetable oil, yes I weighed the oil!
· 190 ml (6.7 fl oz) Milk
· 1 Egg, beaten
· 1 teaspoon of Vanilla extract (or essence)
· 1 Granny Smith apple (120g / 4 0z approx.), peeled and grated
· 1 Granny Smith apple (120g / 4 oz approx.), peeled and chopped into small chunks
CRUMBLE MIX TOPPING
· 70g (2.5 oz) Plain Flour
· 50g (1.8 oz) Brown Sugar
· 40g (1.4 oz) Rolled Oats
· 30g (1 oz) Desiccated Coconut
· 60g (2 oz) Butter, melted (can use margarine)
· 1 teaspoon Cinnamon Powder
· ½ teaspoon ground Nutmeg
- Make the crumble mix topping. In a small bowl mix the flour, sugar, oats, coconut, cinnamon and nutmeg together until evenly combined. Stir in the melted butter until all the ingredients are coated. Set the topping aside.
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius (160 degrees if fan-forced; or 350 F). Line the holes in the cupcake tin with patty cases, or grease each hole with cooking spray, extra butter or margarine.
- In a large bowl add the dry ingredients: sifted flour, sugar, and cinnamon powder. Stir together until the ingredients are well mixed.
- In a small bowl add the wet ingredients: vegetable oil, milk, egg, vanilla, and the grated and chopped apple. Stir.
- Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients and pour the wet ingredients in. Stir them together gently until they’ve just started to combine together evenly. Don’t over mix them.
- Spoon the batter into each cupcake hole until it’s almost full. It’s roughly 1 generously heaped tablespoon.
- To each cupcake hole add at least one heaped tablespoon of the crumble topping.
- Check your oven has reached the right temperature, set your timer for 15-20 minutes and place the cupcake tray on the centre rack of the oven. Remove the muffins when the tops are lightly brown and they spring back when touched.
- Allow the muffins to cool in their pan for 5 minutes before attempting to remove them.
- Remove the muffins and let them cool on a wire rack.
APPLE MUFFINS WITH CRUMBLE TOPPING
- The key with any muffin recipe is to not overmix the batter. This is why the dry ingredients and wet ingredients are prepared separately then gently mixed together.
- Not all the crumble topping will stick to the muffins as it’s cooking. That’s ok.
- You can use a larger or small cupcake tin if needed but you’ll need to adjust your baking time. Shorter if they’re smaller cupcakes or larger if you’re making “texas-sized” muffins. You’ll have to experiment.
- Store at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 3 days