This Devil’s food layer cake is so disgustingly decadent, but sometimes you just need a little something naughty. It’s a moist and rich chocolate cake, sandwiched together with strawberry jam, liqueur, sweetened cream, and fresh strawberries. A buttery dark chocolate ganache finishes the extravaganza perfectly. Great for impressing people and/or seducing someone special.
DEVIL’S FOOD CAKE RECIPE WITH STRAWBERRY CREAM
Serves: 8-12 Difficulty: Easy, but has a few layers to make
· 24cm round springform cake tin
· electric mixer or hand mixer
· Kitchen scales
· Oven thermometer
· Kitchen timer
· Wire rack
· Icing spatula
· 280g Self Raising Flour
· 85g Cocoa Powder, sifted
· 345g Caster Sugar
· 3 large Eggs, lightly beaten
· 150g Unsalted Butter, softened
· 250ml Water
· 100g Milk Chocolate Flakes, to decorate
· 100g White Chocolate Flakes, to decorate
· 4 Strawberries, hull removed, cut in half
· 225g Dark Chocolate, finely chopped
· 70g Unsalted Butter, cubed
Strawberry Cream filling
· 250ml Whipping Cream
· 2 tablespoons Icing Sugar Mixture
· 300g fresh Strawberries, diced, hull removed
· 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
Strawberry jam filling
· 4 tablespoons Strawberry Jam
· 2 tablespoons liqueur of your choice (e.g. Cointreau, Cherry brandy etc)
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius (160 fan forced; 350 F). Set kitchen timer to 50 minutes. Grease cake tin with non-stick spray and line the bottom with baking paper.
- Sift the flour and cocoa powder into the bowl of an electric mixer. Add the sugar, eggs, softened butter and water together. Beat on low speed until the ingredients combine, the increase to high speed and beat for 4 minutes. Pour the cake batter into the springform tin.
- Check the oven is at the right temperature. Bake for 50 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean from the centre. If not ready, bake a further 5 minutes until done.
- Leave the cake to cool in the pan for 20 minutes, then turn onto a wire rack to fully cool.
- Prepare the strawberry cream. In a medium bowl using an electric mixer or whisk beat the cream and icing sugar together until thick. Stir through the diced strawberry pieces and vanilla extract. Refrigerate the cream until needed.
- Prepare the ganache. Add the finely chopped dark chocolate and butter together in a small bowl. Heat the bowl gently over the steam of boiling water until the chocolate and butter is fully melted. Stir occasionally. Allow to cool at room temperature.
- Prepare the strawberry jam filling. Mix the jam with liqueur in a small bowl.
- When the cake is completely cool cut any dome or lumps and bumps from the top of the cake. Carefully cut the cake horizontally into two layers. Place the bottom layer on your serving plate.
- To the bottom layer spread a generous amount of strawberry jam filling. Top the jam with the strawberry cream filling.
- Carefully place the top layer of the cake over the cream layer.
- Pour the chocolate ganache over the top of the cake and spread it to the edges. Sprinkle the top with white and dark chocolate flakes. Spread strawberry halves evenly around the edge of the cake. Can finish with an optional dusting of icing sugar.
Recipe adapted from The Cake Bible, by Rose Levy Berenbaum
DEVIL’S FOOD CAKE
- Keep the cake refrigerated. Best eaten within 24 hours
- You can make your own chocolate flakes by grating some chocolate, or crushing some candy bars like the “Twirl” or Cadbury “Flake” bar. The white chocolate is only for effect if you want to remove that.
- For an extra punch, brush some extra liqueur into the bottom cake layer before adding the jam.