I stumbled across this easy Christmas Cake Bites recipe from a family friend. In one mouthful you get all the usual festive fruity flavours, without feeling like you’ve overindulged yet again. This recipe for mini Christmas cake bites is kid-friendly in that there’s no alcohol added. So if you need a quick dish to whip up for the Playgroup Christmas Party, this has your bases covered. For the booze-loving adults amongst us, however, this can be easily remedied by substituting the apple juice for the liqueur of your choice.
MINI CHRISTMAS CAKE BITES RECIPE
Makes: 24-36 bites Difficulty: Easy
· 12-hole Mini Muffin pan
· Patty pans, red and green
· Medium bowl
· Hand beater, stand mixer or whisk
· Kitchen timer
· Oven thermometer
· Wire rack
· 80ml (2.8 fl oz) Apple Juice
· 375g (13.2 oz) box of dried Mixed Fruit (a mix of sultanas, raisins, currants, peel, and glace cherry)
· 50g (1.7 oz) Dried Apricots, diced
· 100g (3.4 oz) Slivered Almonds, chopped
· 100g (3.4 oz) Unsalted Butter, softened
· 75g (2.7 oz) Brown Sugar, firmly packed
· ½ teaspoon Vanilla Extract
· 1 large Egg
· 65g (2.3 oz) Self Raising Flour
· ½ teaspoon of All Spice (mixed spice)
· 45g (1.6 oz) White Chocolate Bits
· 150g (5.3 oz) White Chocolate Melts
· 100g (3.4 oz) red Glace Cherries, cut in half
- Place the dried mixed fruit and diced dried apricots into a medium bowl. Heat the apple juice in the microwave for 1 minute, then pour the juice over the dried fruit. Stir so that all the fruit is covered in juice. Set aside for 30 minutes. Strain the juice from the dried fruit mixture.
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees Celsius (140 C fan-forced; 320F). Beat together the softened butter, brown sugar and vanilla extract until pale thick and creamy. Beat in the egg until all ingredients are well combined.
- Stir in the strained dried fruit mix, chopped slivered almonds, flour, all spice and white chocolate bits.
- Drop teaspoons of the batter into the mini muffin pan until each is filled to the top. Pack the batter in to fill any gaps.
- Check oven is at the right temperature. Set kitchen timer for 20 minutes. Bake the mini bites on the middle rack of the oven. When done they’ll be golden brown and the top will be firm to touch. If not cooked just yet, bake for a further 5 minutes and retest.
- Allow the mini cakes to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove then to a wire rack to fully cool.
- Prepare the topping. Carefully melt the white chocolate melts in the microwave in short bursts (10 seconds each time. Stir. Check if melted fully. Repeat). Drizzle the melted chocolate on the top of the mini cakes in a zig-zag pattern. Top with half of a glace cherry.
MINI CHRISTMAS CAKE BITES
- Store at room temperature in an airtight container