The classic combination of peanut butter and chocolate is difficult to resist. Especially when baked into cookie dough and eaten warm from the oven. These beauties are adapted from the Magnolia Bakery, who specialise in classic American treats. Just try to resist eating the whole tray as the scent of warm peanut butter, caramelised sugar and chocolate wafts from the oven.
Makes: 24-36 Difficulty: Easy
· Large baking tray
· Large mixing bowl
· Electric mixer / stand mixer
· Wire rack
· Oven thermometer
· Kitchen timer
· Kitchen scales
· 160g Plain Flour
· 3/4 teaspoon Bicarbonate Soda
· 1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
· 1/4 teaspoon Salt
· 115g Unsalted Butter, softened
· 250g Peanut Butter, room temperature (smooth or crunchy)
· 150g Caster Sugar
· 100g Brown Sugar
· 1 large Egg, at room temperature
· 1 tablespoon Milk
· 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
· 175g Chocolate Chips
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius (160 degrees fan-forced; 350F). Line a large baking tray with baking paper. Set your kitchen timer for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl stir together the flour, bicarbonate soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Add the softened butter and peanut butter to the bowl of an electric mixer. Beat together with a paddle attachment on medium speed until the ingredients are fluffy. Add the caster sugar and brown sugar. Beat on medium speed until smooth. Add the egg, milk, vanilla extract and flour. Beat together until all ingredients are combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Drop tablespoons of cookie dough onto the baking tray. Leave 2-3 cm between each ball of dough as they will spread as they bake.
- Check the oven has reached the correct temperature. Place the baking tray on the middle rack of the oven. Bake until the cookies change colour to light golden brown. The might appear underdone but once they cool they will firm up. Total baking time is around 10-12 minutes.
- Remove baking tray from the oven. Let the cookies cool on the tray for 2 minutes, then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
Recipe adapted from the Magnolia Bakery Cookbook
- You might need to bake the cookies in batches depending on the size of your oven. This recipe makes 24- 36 cookies. Don’t cram the raw dough too close on the baking tray or they’ll spread and stick together.
- Cookies will keep at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 3 days.