I loved finding a little square of this chocolate slice in my lunchbox for a treat. This Chocolate Caramel Slice recipe is so tasty and easy to assemble. It’s just crushed biscuits with butter for the base, spread with caramelised condensed milk and melted chocolate. For an adult twist, you could sprinkle quality salt flakes on top, or stir a little salt into the caramel as you prepare the filling.
CHOCOLATE CARAMEL SLICE RECIPE
Makes: 12-16 Squares Difficulty: Easy
· Baking tin 28cm x 18cm
· Medium bowl
· Kitchen timer
· Oven thermometer
· Kitchen scales
· Small saucepan
· 150g Self Raising Flour
· 160g Brown Sugar
· 85g Desiccated Coconut
· 125g Unsalted Butter
· 440g Sweetened Condensed Milk
· 2 tablespoons of Golden Syrup
· 30g Unsalted Butter
· 125g Dark Chocolate, chopped
· 30g Unsalted Butter
· Sea Salt Flakes
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius (160 fan-forced; 350F). Prepare the biscuit base. Use a small saucepan on low heat to melt down the butter. While it’s melting grab a medium bowl and stir together the flour, brown sugar and coconut. Add the melted butter to the bowl and stir well until the ingredients are all combined. Don’t worry if it looks too dry. With clean hands pour the mixture into the prepared baking tin and firmly press the biscuit base down until it fully covers the bottom of the pan. Set your kitchen timer for 10 minutes. Check oven has reached correct temperature. Bake in the middle rack of the oven. Remove when done. Keep the oven on.
- Prepare the caramel filling. In a small saucepan add the condensed milk, golden syrup and butter. Stir together over low heat until the mixture begins to thicken. Keep stirring as the caramel comes to the boil. Stir as it thickens to a slow pouring consistency. When done pour the caramel over the warm cooked biscuit base and spread it so it covers the whole base. Bake for another 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow it to cool completely in the tray.
- Prepare the chocolate topping. In a small saucepan over low heat melt the chocolate and butter. Stir together until the mixture is glossy. Spread the chocolate topping over the biscuit and caramel base. Sprinkle a pinch of sea salt flakes over the top.
- Cut the slice into squares.
Recipe adapted from Australian Women’s Weekly Best Even Cakes and Slices.
CHOCOLATE CARAMEL SLICE
- Slice is stored at room temperature in an airtight container
- The thickness of the caramel layer in the middle depends on how long you let it boil for in the saucepan.