This Banana Bread recipe is so simple and made in just one bowl. When my ceiling fan pushed the scent of over-ripe bananas past my nose, I could only think of one thing: fresh banana bread. In my pantry was a tub of the most beautiful pure unprocessed honey from Bartholomews Meadery in Denmark, Western Australia, so I added their honey in too. The “Wandoo” variety imparted a little bit of butterscotch flavouring to the banana bread.
BANANA BREAD RECIPE
Makes: 8-12 slices Difficulty: Easy
· 1 medium loaf tin (21 x 11 x 6cm; 8.3 x 4.3 x 2.4 in)
· Stand mixer / electric mixer
· Kitchen Timer
· Oven thermometer
· Kitchen scales
· Wire rack
· 125g (4.4 oz) Unsalted Butter, softened to room temperature
· 200g (7 oz) Self Raising Flour, sifted
· 2 large ripe Bananas, mashed to a pulp
· 2 large Eggs, lightly beaten
· 70g (2.5 oz) Brown Sugar
· 3 tablespoons Honey
· 1 pinch of Salt
· 1 teaspoon Cinnamon Powder
· ½ teaspoon ground Nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius (160 fan-forced; 350 F). Line the bottom of the tin with baking paper. Grease the sides with non-stick spray.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer beat the brown sugar and soft butter until the mixture is pale thick and creamy.
- With the beaters on medium speed slowly add the eggs until they’re mixed through.
- Stir in the sifted flour, banana, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and honey.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf tin. Check the oven is at the correct temperature. Set your kitchen timer for 30 minutes. The cake is done when a skewer in the middle comes out clean and the top springs back lightly when touched. If the cake isn’t ready yet, set the timer for another 5 minutes and check again. Repeat until baked. Cooking time is 30-40 minutes.
- Allow the loaf to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack.
Recipe adapted from the Nyamutin Farm Cookbook
BANANA BREAD RECIPE
- Can serve warm or cold. Banana bread is great with butter.
- Individual bread slices can be wrapped in plastic wrap and stored in the freezer for up to 2 months.
- Or store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.