This is Mum’s special Simple Chocolate Cake recipe. It had the power to score me cool stuff on the playground in exchange for a slice. Mum would include two pieces for my best friend and I, but one look at the cake and everyone was suddenly my best friend. Fun for a while, but soon I had to wait until everyone was busy playing before I could sneak some cake without being mobbed. This recipe yields one easy chocolate cake perfect for afternoon tea, or even as a base for a birthday cake. Top the cake with chocolate buttercream and sprinkles, and you’re done. You know what’s even better? It’s made in just one bowl.
SIMPLE CHOCOLATE CAKE RECIPE
Serves 8-12 Difficulty: Easy
· 20 cm (8 in) round cake tin
· Electric mixer / stand mixer
· Wire rack
· Oven thermometer
· Kitchen timer
· Kitchen scales
· 125g (4.4 oz) Unsalted Butter, softened to room temperature
· 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
· 65g (2.3 oz) Plain Flour
· 190ml (6.4 fl oz) Buttermilk
· 120g (4. 2 oz) Caster Sugar
· 2 large Eggs
· 45g (1.6 oz) Self Raising Flour
· 1 teaspoon Bicarbonate Soda
· 60g (2 oz) Cocoa Powder
· 165g (5.8 oz) Strawberry Jam
· 300g (10.6 oz) Icing Sugar Mixture
· 100g (3.4 oz) Unsalted Butter, softened to room temperature
· 40g (1.4 oz) Cocoa Powder, sifted
· 50ml (1.7 fl oz) Milk
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius (160 fan-forced; 350F). Line a 20cm round cake tin with baking paper. Grease the sides with non-stick spray. Set your kitchen timer for 30 minutes.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer add the soft butter, sugar and vanilla extract. Beat with a paddle attachment until the mixture is thick, pale and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Pour in the jam and beat until the mixture is smooth
- Sift in the bicarbonate soda. Add half of the plain and self-raising flour with half of the cocoa powder and half of the buttermilk. Fold them in gently with a spatula. Add the remaining flour, cocoa powder and buttermilk. Gently stir until all are combined. The mixture will resemble a thick chocolate mousse.
- Scoop the batter into the cake tin. Check the oven is at the correct temperature. Place the tin on the middle rack of the oven. Back until the top springs back when pressed and a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean. Remove from the oven.
- Let the cake cool in the pan for at least 10 minutes, then turn the cake onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the icing add the icing sugar, butter and cocoa powder to the bowl of an electric mixer. Beat until combined. Add the milk then whip the frosting with the beaters for around 5 minutes. It should be fluffy and the some of the icing sugar should have dissolved.
- When the cake is completely cool slather the top with the chocolate icing.
SIMPLE CHOCOLATE CAKE
- Cake keeps in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.