NEW YORK CHEESECAKE RECIPE
Serves 12-14 Difficulty: Intermediate
· 23cm (9 in) Springform tin
· Large bowl
· Oven thermometer
· Kitchen scales
· Kitchen timer
· 350g (12.3 oz) Digestive Biscuits, processed into fine crumbs
· 120g (4.2 oz) Unsalted Butter, melted
· 900g (2 lbs) Cream Cheese, softened and diced (regular, light or low-fat).
· 150g (5.3 oz) Caster Sugar
· 5 large Eggs
· 125ml (4.2 fl oz) fresh Lime Juice (need 5-6 limes)
· 3 large Egg Whites
· 110g (3.9 oz) Caster Sugar
· 40g (1.4 oz) Desiccated Coconut
· zest of 1 Lime, grated
- Grease the bottom and sides of the springform pan with non-stick spray.
- Add the digestive biscuit crumbs and the melted butter to a large bowl. Stir together until all the biscuit is coated in butter.
- Pour the biscuit mix into the tin and spread it evenly around the base. Pack it in firmly with your fingers right to the edges. Place the tin in the fridge to set.
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees Celsius (140 fan-forced; 320F). Set your kitchen timer for 40 minutes.
- Add the diced cream cheese to the bowl of an electric mixer. Beat together on medium speed until smooth. With the beaters running add the sugar gradually until it’s all combined. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Pour in the lime juice and beat until just combined. The mixture will be easily pourable.
- Remove the biscuit base from the fridge. Pour the cheesecake filling over the base and spread it around evenly. Smooth the top with a spatula.
- Check the oven has reached the correct temperature. Place the cheesecake on the middle rack of the oven. Total baking time is between 45 and 55 minutes. The cheesecake is done when the top is golden brown and still has a slight loose wobble in the middle when removed.
- Remove cheesecake from the oven and let it cool in the pan.
- Prepare the meringue topping. Place the egg whites in the bowl of an electric mixer. Add one-third of the sugar. Beat on low speed until soft peaks form. Gradually turn up the beater speed to medium-high. Add the remaining sugar and beat until the peaks become glossy. Gently hand fold the coconut into the meringue with a spatula.
- Heat the oven to 220 degrees Celsius (200 fan-forced; 430F).
- When the cheesecake has completely cooled spoon the meringue onto the middle and spread it evenly across the surface of the cake. It’ll be about 2cm thick. Bake for 5 minutes or until the meringue starts to turn golden and firm to the touch.
- Remove from the oven. Let the cheesecake cool a little, then refrigerate in the tin for at least 2 hours before serving. When ready to serve carefully remove cake from the tin. Sprinkle freshly grated lime zest over the top.
Recipe adapted from “America” by Jamie Oliver
NEW YORK CHEESECAKE RECIPE
(None yet. Tell me how the recipe went)