My Mum’s easy chocolate cake recipe is super simple to prepare. Everything goes in one bowl, then you walk away and make a cup of tea while the electric beaters whip the cake together for you. Finish with a simple chocolate icing and some sprinkles to make it fancy. I have fond memories of eating a slice of this cake as an after-school treat. Heaven forbid I brought some to school. I would be hounded by classmates wanting some too!
EASY CHOCOLATE CAKE RECIPE
Serves: 8-12 people Difficulty: Easy
· 20cm (8 in) round cake tin
· Hand mixer / electric mixer
· Medium bowl
· Oven thermometer
· Kitchen timer
· Kitchen scales
· Cooling rack
· 200g (7.0 oz) Caster Sugar
· 85g (3.0 oz) Unsalted Butter, softened
· 190ml (6.7 fl oz) Milk
· 1 teaspoon Instant Coffee granules
· 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
· 150g (5.3 oz) Self Raising Flour, sifted
· 1 ½ tablespoons Cocoa Powder, sifted
· ¼ teaspoon Bicarbonate Soda
· 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
· 130g (4.6 oz) Icing Sugar Mixture
· 1 teaspoon Cocoa Powder, sifted
· 2 teaspoons Butter, softened
· 100s and 1000s for decoration
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius (160 degrees fan-forced; 350F). Grease the base and sides of the pan with non-stick spray.
- Into the bowl of a hand mixer or electric mixer add the caster sugar, instant coffee granules, self-raising flour, cocoa powder and bicarbonate soda.
- Turn the beaters on slow speed and add the milk, eggs, softened butter, eggs and vanilla. Turn the speed up to high and beat ingredients together for 3 minutes. Stop to scrape down the sides of the bowl occasionally.
- Pour the cake batter into the greased cake tin. Check the oven has reached the correct temperature. Set your kitchen timer for 45 minutes.
- Place cake on the middle rack of the oven. The cake is ready when a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean and the dome springs back when lightly pressed. If not done yet, put back in the oven for another 5 minutes and re-check. Repeat until fully cooked.
- Allow the cake to cool in the tin for 10 minutes. Invert the cake onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- While the cake is cooling prepare the icing. In a medium bowl sift 1 cup of icing sugar mixture with 1 teaspoon of cocoa powder. Add the softened butter and trickle in some water. Stir the icing mixture together until all combined. Keep adding small amounts of water to achieve the desired consistency.
- Spread the chocolate icing sugar on the cake once it’s cool. Sprinkle the top with 100s and 1000s to finish.
EASY CHOCOLATE CAKE
- The cake will store for up to 3 days in an airtight container at room temperature
- You can omit the coffee granules if you like