HUMMINGBIRD CAKE RECIPE WITH CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
Serves 8-12 Difficulty: Easy
· 2 x 20cm (8 in) round cake tins
· Kitchen timer
· Oven thermometer
· Kitchen scales
· Stand mixer / electric mixer
· Wire rack
· 300g (10.6 oz) Caster Sugar
· 3 large Eggs
· 300ml (10.6 fl oz) Vegetable Oil
· 3 large ripe Bananas, mashed
· 1 teaspoon Cinnamon Powder, 1 extra teaspoon for decoration
· 300g (10.6 oz) Plain Flour
· 1 teaspoon Bicarbonate Soda
· ½ teaspoon Salt
· ½ teaspoon Vanilla Extract
· 100g (3.4 oz) tinned Pineapple, diced
· 100g (3.4 oz) Pecan Buts, chopped. Extra 50g for decoration.
· 600g (1.3 lb) Icing Sugar Mixture
· 100g (3.4 oz) Unsalted Butter, softened but not melted
· 250g (8.8 oz) Cream Cheese, cubed
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees Celsius (150 degrees fan-forced; 340 F). Line the bottom of the cake tins with baking paper and grease the sides with non-stick spray.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer add the caster sugar, eggs, mashed banana, oil and cinnamon. Beat on medium speed until well combined. Add the salt, vanilla, and bicarbonate soda. On slow speed, add the flour a little at a time until it’s just mixed evenly.
- Using a spatula gently stir in 100g of chopped pecan nuts and the diced pineapple pieces.
- Check the oven is at the correct temperature. Set the kitchen timer for 25 minutes. Split the cake batter evenly between the two cake tins. Bake in the middle of the oven. The cakes are done when the top is golden brown and springs back when lightly pressed. If it’s not ready yet, set the timer for an extra 5 minutes and keep repeating the process until it’s done.
- Remove the cakes from the oven and allow them to cool for 10 minutes in the pan. Turn them onto a wire rack and let them cool completely.
- Add the icing sugar mixture and soft butter to the bowl of an electric mixer. Beat them together on medium speed with the flat paddle attachment until all combined. The texture will look dry and sandy for now.
- With the beaters still running drop in the cream cheese one cube at a time. As more cream cheese is added the dry texture will transform to a soft creamy frosting. On medium-high speed continue beating the frosting until it’s fluffy.
- When the cakes are cool, slice any lumps and bumps from the tops so they’re both flat and even. Sandwich the two cakes together with at least 1cm of cream cheese frosting. Spread the remaining frosting over the top and sides of the cake. Decorate the top with chopped pecan nuts and a dusting of cinnamon powder.
Recipe adapted from The Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook
- If the frosting is runny it’s been over-beaten and/or the butter used was liquid rather than soft and spreadable.
- Store the cake at room temperature in an airtight container or protected from air in a cake stand with the lid on. Eat within 24 hours ideally.
COOKBOOK AVAILABLE ONLINE AT:
TheBookDepository.co.uk The Hummingbird Bakery Home Sweet Home: 100 New Recipes for Baking Brilliance (free worldwide shipping)
Fishpond.com.au The Hummingbird Bakery Home Sweet Home: 100 New Recipes for Baking Brilliance (free AU and NZ shipping)